Knowing what to do before a hurricane or storm hits is important to keep you and your family safe. Here are some tips and helpful resources to help you prepare.
- Know where to go and have an evacuation plan. If evacuations are given, you need to have a plan in place, know local evacuation routes, and know where you can stay.
- Have cash on hand. ATMs and credit card machines may not work for a while after a storm.
- Keep an adequate supply of medication on hand for up to 7 days.
- Stock up on supplies. Having a disaster supply kit will be good to have. Your supply kit should include flashlights, batteries, and a first aid kit. Make sure to stock up on plenty of water too. It is recommended to have a supply of at least 1 gallon of water per person in your household for several days.
- Gather and copy important documents such as birth certificates and forms of identification. Keeping important documents safe and secure is important during a storm so they don’t get destroyed. If you are ordered to evacuate, take your documents with you.
- Back up your electronics. Keep extra batteries and chargers around during a hurricane, and backup any electronic devices if necessary.
- Protect your property by storing any patio furniture or outside items that could be picked up in high wind.