P.O. Box 98036, Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9036 888.769.8841 www.campusfederal.org Fax Number: 225.408.4919

Identity Theft Protection and Resolution Resources

Fraud Defender

Fraud Defender - Campus Federal Is Now Your First Line of Defense against Identity Theft

Fraudulent Checks and Other "Paper" Transactions

You can contact major check verification companies directly for the following services:

  • To request that they notify retailers who use their databases not to accept your checks, call:
    • TeleCheck at 1-800-710-9898 or 1-800-927-0188
    • Certegy, Inc. (previously Equifax Check Systems) at 1-800-437-5120
  • To find out if the identity thief has been passing bad checks in your name, call:
    • SCAN: 1-800-262-7771

Fraudulent New Accounts

Chex Systems, Inc.: 1-800-428-9623; www.chexhelp.com
Fax: 602-659-2197
Chex Systems, Inc.
Attn: Consumer Relations
7805 Hudson Road, Suite 100
Woodbury, MN 55125

Bankruptcy Fraud

U.S. Trustee (UST) - www.usdoj.gov/ust

Correcting Fraudulent Information in Credit Reports

Investment Fraud

U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) - www.sec.gov
File a complaint with the SEC's Complaint Center at www.sec.gov/compliant.shtml

Mail Theft

U.S. Postal Inspection Service (USPIS) - https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/

Passport Fraud

United States Department of State (USDS) - www.travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

Phone Fraud

  • For local service, contact your state Public Utility Commission.
  • For cellular phones and long distance, contact the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) at www.fcc.gov. The FCC regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable. Call: 1-888-CALL-FCC; TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC; or write: Federal Communications Commission, Consumer Information Bureau, 445 12th Street, SW, Room 5A863, Washington, DC 20554. You can file complaints online at www.fcc.gov , or e-mail your questions to fccinfo@fcc.gov.

Social Security Number Misuse

  • If you have specific information of SSN misuse that involves the buying or selling of Social Security cards, may be related to terrorist activity, or is designed to obtain Social Security benefits, contact the SSA Office of the Inspector General. You may file a complaint online at www.socialsecurity.gov/oig, call toll-free: 1-800-269-0271, fax: 410-597-0118, or write: SSA Fraud Hotline, P.O. Box 17768, Baltimore, MD 21235.
  • You also may call SSA toll-free at 1-800-772-1213 to verify the accuracy of the earnings reported on your SSN, request a copy of your Social Security Statement, or get a replacement SSN card if yours is lost or stolen. Follow up in writing.

Student Loan Fraud

Contact the school or program that opened the student loan to close the loan. At the same time, report the fraudulent loan to the U.S. Department of Education. Call the Inspector General's Hotline toll-free at 1-800-MIS-USED; visit www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/hotline.html?src=rt; or write: Office of Inspector General, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-1510.

Tax Fraud

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) - www.treas.gov/irs/ci

  • The IRS is responsible for administering and enforcing tax laws. Identity fraud may occur as it relates directly to your tax records. Visit www.irs.gov and type in the IRS key word "Identity Theft" for more information.
  • If you have an unresolved issue related to identity theft, or you have suffered or are about to suffer a significant hardship as a result of the administration of the tax laws, visit the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service website www.irs.gov/advocate/ or call toll-free: 1-877-777-4778.

For more information call 1-877-ID THEFT (1-877-438-4338) or visit www.ftc.gov/idtheft

Identity Theft Protection and Resolution Resources information was provided by the Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/idtheft.

We're Here to Help
Live Chat


To open an account you must be a member of Campus Federal. Please use our membership application to apply for membership and open an account. Current members, please use the contact us form to specify the type of account you would like to open.